Friday, February 5, 2010

The Meaning of "Madison"


What's in a name? I'd like to share with you the reason why my business is named "Madison Designs Jewelry".

When people started buying my personal jewelry designs (literally off my neck), I was encouraged to start this business. At the time my youngest son was 14, and I didn't feel I should jump into something else that would take more time away from him. Then I noticed as I was making jewelry, he would start to help me. He was very good at taking my designs and recreating them (which was a big help when I had my wine-themed jewelry in the Wine Enthusiast Catalog and was selling in large quantities!). His technique was so good that side by side you couldn't tell which ones I'd made, and which ones he'd made. Of course he swore me to secrecy -- the guys just couldn't know he made necklaces and earrings. We had a partnership and a precious mother/son secret -- he'd help me make jewelry and I wouldn't tell anyone what he was doing.

So back to the topic. The word "Madison" is a combination of my initials (MAD) and my SON who is helping me in this business. He starts college next year, pursuing a degree in industrial design. He wants to design cars instead of jewelry, which is wonderful. It's been a fun experience to share with him and maybe one day he'll design a special car just for his mom, the jewelry designer. I hope he makes it pearly white or ruby red.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story! It sounds like an organic version of the "family business".

    ReplyDelete